Water marbling has been on my mind lately. More specifically, my frustration at my inability to do it properly. All that changed tonight though as I FINALLY. GOT. WATER. MARBLING. TO. WORK. And man, did it ever work.
Keep reading for what I did differently this time.
Here's what I did differently this time. For a start, I didn't try to be too clear with the colours. I really liked the idea using fire colours as I've had fun with them in the past. I chose five different colours for this, China Glaze Winter Berry for the red, Nicole by OPI The Right Thing in an orangey coral, Essie Vermillionaire for orange, China Glaze Papaya Punch for, well, papaya colour (works a lot better in a water marble than straight) and Sally Hansen Mellow Yellow for yellow.
This time I added a lot more polish than I did on my previous two tries. Each finger has two drips of each colour going red to yellow in sequence, twice. This was what really made the difference. The polish didn't dry out straight away and I was able to play with the patterns to maximise the impact. I'm so happy with how it came out!
A note on the colours: wow was this hard to photograph. Something about the reds and my skin tone just made my camera freak out to the point I had to use a flash to get a realistic read on the colours :( This next photo is closest to how it looks in real life though.
The Verdict: I'm so happy with how this came out I did both hands! As I mentioned before, ten drops of polish is actually the right amount to use as it will keep the polish wet and lets you play with it. My face, looking at this: :D yeah.